Cooking in Under 10 Minutes

Caveman Doctor receives many emails (whatever an email is) from readers saying they don’t have enough time to cook these caveman foods, especially vegetables. Caveman Doctor usually spends about 10 minutes cooking his vegetables, and at the most (if he’s feeling crazy) 15 minutes. Often he eats his vegetables raw or soaks them in vinegar overnight, which lowers his preparation time to under 5 minutes. He eats orange peppers (his favorite) raw.

Below is a simple (stressing simple) flow chart of how I eat my vegetables. The simplicity of it is merely to underscore how little time vegetables should take to prepare. If you want to get artistic and push your cooking skills to the limit, more power to you. However, to prepare simple and delicious vegetables, time should not be a factor. Finally, take advantage of free-time by preparing vegetables for several days (which may just be washing and/or cutting).

Cooking chart1 Cooking in Under 10 Minutes

© Caveman Doctor 2012. All Rights Reserved

Comments
16 Responses to “Cooking in Under 10 Minutes”
  1. Will says:

This is exactly how I eat. Someone understands! It is so easy. A cast iron pan makes it even more delicious. The vinegar is a cool technique I will try that. I guess that would be kind of a pickle. Very neat. Thank you.

You’re welcome!

Paleo/Cavemen often complain about time constraints with cooking but realistically cooking should not take that long.

• Jen says:

Hi Caveman Doctor,
        I’ve been trying to be kind to my liver by eating detox foods like kale and broccoli. But I’m having a difficult time making it taste good. Can you please give me some suggestions on how to cook broccoli so is tasty and healthy?
        Love your site!

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the comments. Kale chips: drizzle kale with avocado oil, salt, and pepper, scatter on an oven sheet and bake at 400 degrees until crispy. Absolutely delicious.

I have found that microwaving broccoli, then adding (or even adding before) grass-fed butter, salt, and pepper makes it taste pretty good.

I hope this helps!
          CD

Hi Jen,

I hope this helps!
          CD

2. Tom and Diane says:

What kind of vinegar? Are there vinegars to avoid using? avoid heating?
    Very simple chart, indeed!

Hey Tom and Diane!

I mix it up but have been a fan of Bragg Organic Apple Vinegar lately. I use some balsamics as well. I don’t think there is anything wrong with heating them a little, though I have never done it.

-CD

3. Carlos says:

Thanks for putting this together! I couldn’t help to think that I need some meat with my raw vegetables. Do you have any tips on how to cook meat or other protein in 10 minutes?
    Thanks! CD

You’re welcome!

Actually, meat for me isn’t much different (minus the raw part), except that I nearly always use an oil or fat to cook it in to prevent burning. All my meat gets salt and pepper on it among other spices.

I also dry the surfaces of a lot of my meats to keep in the juices when I cook them on a pan. Beef I generally cook the outside on a pan and leave the insides pretty darn rare.

Wild salmon (skin on) with salt and pepper cooked in grass-fed butter takes me no more than 10 mins and is absolutely delicious.

-CD

• girl interrupted says:

Thanks for the recipe! how long do you microwave the broccoli and how much butter do you use?

You’re welcome!

I do about 2 mins. As for butter, I add a lot. I don’t really measure butter or oil when I add it and do it to taste.
          -CD

4. Carlos says:

Thanks! Do you use regular salt and pepper or organic, unprocessed?

I use pink Hamalayan salt or sea salt. Pepper I am less picky, but organic isn’t much more expensive than regular (and actually cheaper if you look around on the net).

-CD

5. Bryan says:

Excellent flowchart. May I also recommend adding “soak in lemon/lime juice” next to the “soak in vinegar” bit?

Thanks Bryan. Great point. I often forget how useful lemon and lime juice are at softening and flavoring vegetables.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] safe to eat raw) it may be worthwhile to try to increase the amounts of raw foods you eat daily.  One good method is to eat vegetables in vinegar or other acidic marinades, with or without added oil.  This will help soften up the vegetables and give them some extra flavor without damaging the [...]