Podcast 3: Avoiding Sugar & Natural Bone Health

Relentless Roger and the Caveman Doctor Episode 3: Sugar, Bone Health, and Eating the Foods Nature Provided for Us

RRCD header 300x170 Podcast 3: Avoiding Sugar & Natural Bone Health

Yes, we’re back for Episode #3!

The Relentless Roger and the Caveman Doctor (RRCD) Podcast: Simplifying complex issues for healthy living

The podcast exists to take our daily efforts in the physical world and distill usable information for you, the listener. We are now listed on itunes!

Click here for Episode #3

In Episode #3, Roger and Caveman Doctor:

• Respond to many listeners’ requests and revisit Dr. Robert Lustig’s 60-Minutes segment on sugar and discuss why sugar is so toxic.
  • Discuss dieting once disease strikes, with references to a recent study showing what happens when a low-carbohydrate diet is used in conjunction with cancer treatment. Click here for the full article.
  • Once again discuss how Dr. Terry Wahls helped beat multiple sclerosis, an “uncurable” disease that can beat our most advanced medicines, through diet alone (see video below).
  • Relentless Fitness is up for the best boutique gym in Philadelphia and is currently in the lead! Make sure to go online and vote here.
  • Roger discusses Carley and her amazing transformation in a short amount of time by merely changing her diet (to paleo/caveman of course!) and adding some exercise. See Carley live here.
  • Discuss what happens when you don’t get strengthen your bones naturally and opt for calcium supplements (hint, bad things…). Click here for the New York Times article.
  • Is there really a paleo plastic surgeon??
  • Can merely looking at food increase physiologic hormones and chemicals to make you crave carbs?
  • Check out an amazing recipe for crock pot rump roast (via Civilized Caveman) and read up on Kombucha via Robb Wolf.
  • Finally, we make another plea to get CJ Hunt to Philly to Premier his film “In Search of The Perfect Human Diet”. Like this page on Facebook!

SIGNATURE2 Podcast 3: Avoiding Sugar & Natural Bone Health

© Caveman Doctor 2012. All Rights Reserved.

Comments
10 Responses to “Podcast 3: Avoiding Sugar & Natural Bone Health”
  1. cn says:

Hello! Caveman Doc and Roger,

When you said,”I wash my orange peppers with soap to remove pesticides.” What kind of soap do you use?

Hi,

I use chemical-free hand soap or even bragg’s vinegar which you can get at whole foods or organic type markets.

I often soak my veggies in vinegar to get the chemicals off of the surface.

-CD

2. yk says:

Dr. Caveman,
    After watching the story about sugar on 60 minutes I want to stop or significatly reduce my sugar intake. However, I’m having a very difficult time stopping. I love dark chocolate, ice cream, and my favorite creme brulee! life is too short to not enjoy the little things in life. How much is OK? I know the study said no more than 100 grams for women but thats not even a can of soda! Please advise.
    Thanks! Champ

YK,

I am not sure off the top of my head what the study said, but I think most people would say to keep sugar well under 50g/day. I know it is a balance and you don’t want to stress yourself too much over the nitty-gritty. I still do dark chocolate (higher fat/fiber, lower sugar). I also had a huge sweet tooth, which has gradually disappeared and I no longer even enjoy these sweet things. Also, remembering how terrible I felt after eating those foods is a constant reminder to me about how life is too short to eat these foods that make me feel worse and make me unhealthier.

Every situation is unique though and do as much as you can do. Don’t be surprised it you are able to gradually reduce your sweet tooth and get those same enjoyments out of other healthier foods.

-CD

• yk says:

awesome reply! Caveman Doc! yes, i agree life is too short to eat foods that make you feel bad but the problem is they make me feel GOOD if I have just a little. Good luck in your exam!

3. minie says:

No wonder so many people like it! Coke and Pepsi contain ALCOHOL, reveals French research

Thanks for the link! I can only imagine all the different things we could find in these drinks if we checked…

4. minie says:

I hope you talk about it in your next popcast because this is really jackup!! children drink sodas!
    Maybe you can change your name to Supercaveman haha! LOL

5. Edward says:

Kombucha is usually made with sweetened tea so that there is something there to ferment. You’re really drinking tea flavored sugar based beer. I don’t how you guys feel about yogurt, but it is a fairly low carbohydrate source of good biota as the bacteria eat most of the lactose.

Thanks Edward. I actually don’t do Kombucha for this very reason and agree with you. I stick with unpasteurized dairy (mostly cheese) though do eat some yogurt periodically from a local farm.