Podcast 6: How Phat is Your Fat

itunes e1339791119922 Podcast 6: How Phat is Your Fat

RRCD sidebar 150x150 Podcast 6: How Phat is Your Fat

In Episode #6:

SIGNATURE2 Podcast 6: How Phat is Your Fat

© Caveman Doctor 2012. All Rights Reserved.

Comments
9 Responses to “Podcast 6: How Phat is Your Fat”
  1. minie says:

Hi Caveman Doctor,
    I’m currently using a water filter from Amway. what kind of water filter are you using? and do you drink bottle water?

since you asked for feedback. maybe you can have a guest host or different people once in a while to spice up the show.
    hope this help!

Minie,

Thanks for the comments! We definitely need to have some guests on, and that is the goal once we reach our stride (which hopefully is soon…).

I use an APEC reverse osmosis water filter (here is the link). So far so good and the water is pretty darn filtered after it comes out. I am not wild about the plastic used in the construction, but was unable to find any without plastics parts. I live in an apartment now so don’t have many choices. How do you like the Amway?

I do not drink bottled water except on rare occasion (like if I am on the brink of dehydration…). I can’t imagine all of the chemicals in bottled water as it sits at high heat in warehouses, plus all the plastic bottles that end up cluttering the environment, releasing their chemicals gives me more reason to avoid. Though, it’s impossible to avoid all plastics!

Thanks again for the comments!
      CD

2. minie says:

Thanks for the link! I like Amway water filter except for the taste, is a little hmm..not sure how to describe it. They claim to incorporate a carbon-block filter and UV light, and destroys microorganisms. I think some parts are made with plastic. It is also very pricey $950, but so far is working out fine.

I have noticed that Poland bottle water the big gallon with the white plastic, I can actually taste the plastic which is really funny because I can’t taste it with the small Poland bottle with transparent plastic. I wonder if they are a different kind of plastics.

I think you are making very important observations about plastic bottle and water. I never thought about plastic bottle water stored in warehouses with high heat. That’s a very good point! I will keep this in mind next time I drink bottle water.

3. Angi Trapp says:

Another great podcast, gentlemen! I am so torn about the coffee thing…I am 49 and have 15# I’d like to lose, but it’s not happening for me. My diet is great and my doctor says my thyroid is “on the low end, but normal” and I’m very sluggish, but pushing through the Crossfit workouts. Do you suppose that coffee could be causing me issues? (Not asking for a diagnosis here, LOL) I drink 1-2 cups minimum every morning, sometimes with heavy cream. Grrrr……

4. Sheena says:

The history of vegetable and seed oils is remarkable every time I hear about it, and it’s amazing how they are still promoted as healthy options. Even in the Asian market where I get real coconut milk, goat, and the occasional seaweed product, all I see is Canola and corn oil (with a “heart healthy” label on it)! Palm oil, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil…. what’s your take on coconut oil for cooking or other uses?

Hi Sheena! Thanks for the comments.

As for coconut oil, I love it! Stable to cook with and avoid oxidation and good to garnish with as well. The flavor makes it not great with all foods, but test it out and see what you think. I go with organic coconut manna at times if I just want to eat it raw.

-CD

• Sheena says:

Thanks for the reply! I actually use coconut oil a fair amount already, but I just hadn’t seen you mention it much. You’re right about the flavor though… but I use it in curries and stir-fry dishes with a variety of other spices and flavors, so it never quite stand out, or in other dishes that I want to have a slight coconut flavor anyway. Otherwise I use grass-fed butter or leftover bacon fat (from uncured bacon I might make once a week) to cook with and olive oil on salads only. I’ll have to keep an eye out for avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, and palm oil and give those a try!

5. Edward says:

McDonald’s was actually using beef tallow for their fries in the 60′s and early 70′s. Us old folks can remember how good they were. Better than their burgers, actually. It was movie houses that were using coconut oil, to cook popcorn. The Center for Science in the Corporate Interest oops! I mean Public Interest, of course, went after the movie theaters also.

Haha yeah they did a number on McDonalds. I wasn’t aware of the coconut oil fact. Very interesting. Makes sense though. The good old days…