Podcast 11: Artificial Sweet Tooth

itunes e1339791119922 Podcast 11: Artificial Sweet Tooth

RRCD sidebar 150x150 Podcast 11: Artificial Sweet Tooth

In Episode #11 Roger and Dr. Champ:

Comments
8 Responses to “Podcast 11: Artificial Sweet Tooth”
  1. Dr. Dan Egan says:

I have failed the “Bread Basket Test” many times: Rolls at Texas Roadhouse come mind. Grimace. However, the past year I’ve conquered the wheat monster.

Working on the HIIT/splints. Works better than the treadmill that’s for sure. Takes a lot less time, too.

Diet Coke was a big part of my daily routine for too many years to count. Another grimace.

I enjoyed your podcast and will be reading more of your blog.

Thanks a ton Dr. Egan. Glad you like the podcast and page!

It’s amazing how terrible Diet Coke makes me feel nowadays.

2. janet says:

Hi,

Found you via Jimmy Moore. Interesting about the sprints. I have been on a program kind of like sprints–up and down my steps in intervals of time but increasing intensity. I change out the times and reps each month for change. I am a 64 yr. old woman on Paleo since January 1. Tons of changes–I stopped wheat entirely then too. I had cut wheat down to a few slices of sprouted wheat bread per day but after reading Dr. Wm Davis’s book “Wheat Belly” I cut those out too. THEN, along with weight loss and body re-configuration, my arthritis pains, foot pains, acid reflux, plus anxiety and a host of other complaints just went away. I am a believer about the Wheat Monster–I can reflect back to my bulimia from age 19-31. I would eat jars of wheat germ and binge on the carbs–especially wheat carbs. I would just peal the crusts off cheap bread and scarf that then eat the middle–the texture seemed what I wanted–the taste mattered little!

Back to the interval stair sprinting: I started on June first with a resting heart rate of 72 and this week (Aug. 12) by doing this around 2 or 3 times a week with total sprinting only being around 8-10 minutes with resting minutes in between, my resting heart rate is now 60. I feel much stronger and this has to be helping my osteopenia, along with the Paleo/Primal diet. I follow Art Sears P.A.C.E. The only complaint I have about the stairs is my toes seem kind of numb sometimes–especially in the morning. I try to keep a good heal toe placement and padded shoes but I have had plantar faciatis before and Merton’s Neuroma. Any suggestions? This is so easy and doable–been too hot here and I work full time in a small town with no reasonable gym. Even outside bike riding would be a stretch as the roads leading out of town are busy with traffic and I don’t feel safe on them.

Going to enjoy your podcasts–have it in my Google Reader now!

Hi Janet,

Glad you are making so many positive changes and that you enjoy the podcast! Elimination of wheat should be the first step for those that want to vastly improve their health and as you have seen, the results are amazing.

Glad you are spiriting as well. As for the feet issues, see your doctor etc. etc. (can’t give specific diagnoses over the internet and nor is it in my place when it comes to feet issues!). One thing that has worked for my fasciitis was rolling out my feet with lacrosse balls. I have two under my desk at work. I wear vibrams when I exercise and have hiked across Arizona in them with 0 issues. I am more a barefoot/minimalist kind of guy and less padding when it comes to shoes, which has worked wonders for me personally.

Thanks,

• janet says:

Thanks for encouragement. I love the Paleo/low carb way. Eating better than I ever have and re-ignited my enjoyment of cooking. I now know wheat is toxic for me. Took long enough.

I have never liked wearing constricting shoes like trainers or heavy walking shoes, etc. so I may try something more “free”. I have bunions beginning (darn Grandma, anyway, and her bunion genes!)
        Looking forward to more interesting podcasts. I listen to the paleo and lowcarb podcasts in the morning and evening when home from work and my retired husband has absorbed the message without my preaching or nagging. He had a stroke at 49 and triple bypass at 56. On statins–but doesn’t seem to have side effects. He has cut his carbs while getting the junk food out but sticks to his nasty corn chex in the morning. Blames his upper teeth plate on that–but manages to get good meat down at dinner. Ha. Small steps. At least he is off the skim milk, now on 2% and heading for full-fat. Looking for a source for raw milk.

Janet,

Glad you can dose your husband with our health antics, and glad he is making some positive changes and I wish him luck in the process. Not everyone is sold on the barefoot shoes, but they were personally a life-changer for me.

Ditto on your cooking comments. I have never loved cooking as much as I do nowadays!

Take care,

3. christy says:

You are doing an amazing job Dr Champ! I’ve learned so much from you.

I’ve been trying to give up sugar for a while. But every week without exception I cave in! I am addicted to ice cream and dark chocolate. I try to have just a little, but I ended up eating the whole thing. I do well for a few days but I always end up caving in. Can you please give me advice on how to give up sugar? what can I eat instead of sugar to help me get off it?
    Thanks! <3

Thanks and good to hear!

I would avoid “trigger” foods that lead to uncontrolled behavior. Find foods that still give you that satisfaction but don’t lead to more cravings. I turn to hard cheeses, wine, and very dark chocolate with little sugar. Some people like carbonated water as well. Another strategy is having scheduled cheats, so you can plan it and limit to every other week, etc.

I hope this helps!