RRCD Podcast 12: McDonald’s – Olympic Fuel?

itunes e1339791119922 RRCD Podcast 12: McDonald’s – Olympic Fuel?

RRCD sidebar 150x150 RRCD Podcast 12: McDonald’s – Olympic Fuel?

In Episode #12 Roger and Dr. Champ:

Comments
9 Responses to “RRCD Podcast 12: McDonald’s – Olympic Fuel?”
  1. Gary says:

Great podcast as always!

The discussion about plastics was really interesting. To that end, I’m curious about how you freeze your food given your aversion to plastic. I try to utilize my freezer as much as possible, but to do so I’m forced to use plastic freezer bags. Likewise, I eat a good amount of frozen fruits and vegetables, and they’re invariably packaged in plastic bags. Are you concerned about storing your meats/fruits/vegetables at length in plastic bags set in the freezer? Or should the use of plastic in the freezer just be considered a necessary evil?

I was also wondering about the mention of egg white protein powder as an alternative to whey. I’ve read a good deal of negative press about the consumption of egg whites, mostly relating to autoimmunity issues and damaged guts. Are they ok to consume in quantity?

As always, thanks for all the great info!

Gary,

Thanks for the comments. I am still whipping up a post for your past question, work has been destroying me – but it’s coming I swear!

I get all my beef from a local farmer, buying in bulk and freshly butchered. I requested all paper-wrapped meat and he checked and said the USDA forbids it. So yes, I am stuck with plastic. Before cooking, I actually wash my meat (and frozen fruit) pretty well with water and hope that this washes some of it off. If I Can I use aluminum or paper when I freeze something, but we are really stuck in terms of store-bought freezer foods. I figure at least limiting it in other places lowers my overall exposure so I’ll deal…

I still eat a lot of eggs per week. There have been some reports about allergies, etc. I haven’t really experienced that so I don’t know where to go with this. I feel like I have to draw a line in the sand somewhere, because if I remove eggs, my foods become pretty limited. That being said, yolks contain all the healthy goodness anyways, so if it is merely switching to yolks, that may not be so bad. However, I barely cook my yolks to avoid oxidation of the cholesterol in them, so the next step would be raw egg breakfast. I haven’t quite hit that point yet… As usual, there’s no good answer. Until then, I am still doing sunny-side up pastured eggs.

As for powder, I am still strictly a whey guy.

Take care,
      CD

2. Gary says:

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I figured there probably wasn’t much of a way around using plastic bags in the freezer. As far as the eggs are concerned, I eat 2-3 pastured eggs a day (whites and yolk), and I’ve never experienced any problems with them. I was just curious because I’ve come across some claims, many of which have seemed unsubstantiated, that the whites aren’t all too wholesome. Anyway, I’ll keep eating them as usual because, like you, I draw the line at a raw egg yolk breakfast.

And definitely take your time on my last question!

Thanks again!
    Gary

• Paul N says:

Chris Masterjohn has written some excellent stuff about eggs.
      The short version is that all the nutrients are in the yolks, and the whites contain an antinutrient protein avadin, which is only partially destroyed by cooking

Part of the function of the white is to defend the yolk from infection – the shells are actually porous, and some pathogens can get in. The antibodies in the white are what some people react to.

Chris’ take is that unless you are really in need of protein, then discard the egg yolks. Buying a processed egg powder sounds like about the worst way to get the protein, while still missing all the best nutrients in the yolk.

Thanks for the comments! Masterjohn is on point basically 100% of the time when it comes to fat.

I am not a fan of egg white protein powder (or really any protein powder) though I know sometimes people use it out of convenience or the wrong connection that weight lifting and protein powder are intimately connected and you can’t exceed in the weight room without the sacred powder. That being said I do want people that are going to use it regardless to at least do it as “safely” as possible. When in doubt, whole foods are king.

CEC

3. Jordyn says:

As always, amazing podcast!

You mention that you use Baking Soda as deodorant. This was obviously also a great opportunity for a joke, but it made me wonder how you feel about Parabens. I’ve heard conflicting arguments on whether they contribute to cancer. How you feel about them? They are everywhere and like plastics, hard to avoid. I’d love your point of view.

Jordyn

Jordyn,

You are ahead of me – post coming out on this soon! I avoid them to the best of my ability, but like plastics is almost impossible to totally avoid so I reduce as much as possible. I think shaving ones armpit and applying deodorant with them may be flirting with danger, but not sure about using them in hair products, etc. There is no smoking gun, but they have been found in breast tumor specimens, so they appear to get absorbed. Hopefully will post soon so stay tuned!

PS the baking soda really does work!

4. Paul N says:

Good podcast, but there’s one part I don;t understand, and that is the obsession with whey powder in the gym fraternity.

Whey protein powder is an industrially processed food that is a byproduct of industrial cheesemaking (artisan and cottage cheesemakers feed the whey to the calves/pigs/chickens.) and you have no idea, really, where the whey is coming from.

The process of turning liquid whey into powder usually involves excessive heat and often denatures the protein. There are some whey powders that are “cold processed” but they are rare and expensive.

There is some evidence that milk proteins are harmful when they are removed from the milk fats, though the reverse does not hold true e.g butter.

Not being a bodybuilder I never take the (powdered) stuff, but I really can’t see why, on a high fat Paleo diet, you would want the whey protein and not the milk fat too? It, along with egg yolks is one of the most complete foods there is.

Milk fat contains so much good stuff, and especially vitamin K2 and conjugated linoleic acid, that are hard to come by elsewhere, that I don;t know why anyone would want to pass on it.

The only part of milk we don;t want is the lactose, and that problem is easily solved – you ferment the milk so the lactobacilli eat the lactose (that’s why they are called lactobacilli, and they are actually in raw milk, but are killed by pasteurisation)

Buying lots of yogurt is expensive, so make your own – it’s easier than you think!

More accurately, make kefir, a much better blend of probiotics, and easier to make – it works at room temperature instead of needing an incubator.

I simply use store bought kefir, and put half a cup into a gallon of milk, leave on the shelf for a day, then refrigerate for three more. The result is a wonderful slightly sour taste, similar to natural yogurt, but still a pourable consistency. You can flavour/sweeten it but after a few weeks you will just give up on that.

I sometimes add rennet to make it set into curds, which I can then cut to release the whey, strain in a muslin bag, and I have my own cream cheese. The whey can be used to make your own pickles, sauerkraut, gravalax, marinated beef, and on and on!

When you kefir the milk yourself, and you get all the nutritional benefits of the milk, the lactose is turned into lactic acid, and you get the best probiotics going. And you know exactly what is in there.

Buying industrially processed, isolated whey is so not paleo – the cavemen and people like Hercules and Samson did just fine without it, and so can we.

Paul,

Great comments. Many are on the fence about this, but it is clearly a big part of the paleo/health/weightlifting culture. I think part of the issue is ease and palatability around workout time i.e. just getting home from work, very hungry, down a quick protein shake and hit the gym. This isn’t so easy with eating whole foods. As a result, people are still turning to the powder. Not ideal, but still happening so hopefully people are doing it right (or as right as possible) by using cold pressed, etc.

Whole foods are always the way to go and thanks for your comments about fermenting your own foods as more people need to start doing this (though it may be more a question of willing versus able unfortunately).

Thanks,