Podcast 15: Bulletproof Breakfast

In Episode #15 Roger and Dr. Champ:

12 Comments

1. kem

I’m in love with bulletproof (small “b”) coffee. Here in NZ, all butter is grass fed, all dairy cattle are not fed hormones or prophylactic antibiotics, by law. Actually, all cattle are raised that way here, except at Five Star farm in Ashburton where they get little walks, music and, I hear, beer… but they end up in Japan.

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Kem,

That is pretty amazing. It takes a lot of effort and background checks to make sure beef here in the states isn’t feed foods that give them infections and disease. That being said, most restaurant beef is definitely sub-par. Hopefully one day we can be like NZ, but until then we are still hunting and gathering good sources of beef…

-CC

1. kem

Stop by on your next visit. I’m getting some ground beef (ta, #84) out of the freezer this morning. It’ll be rissoles, leeks stir fried in butter, steamed carrots and baked spuds (sans skins and well oiled with xtra virgin NZ olive oil) for tea and very likely steamed Granny Smiths with whipped cream for pudding. (all but the dairy from our property and grown with Joel Salatin in mind) You’re both invited.

Oh, the hazelnuts we load on the whipped cream are from a dear friend that farms them commercially and organically nearby.

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Thanks!!

2. RssSubscriber

this episode dont show up thru rss subscription in podcast apps. At least not in Google listen.
    It looks like you forgot to attach or embed the mp3 the correct way or something.

3. Nikki Hughes

In terms of Bulletproof coffee, what’s your take on Dave Asprey’s claim that it’s the mycotoxins that are problematic with conventional coffee? Have you seen research on this? Are some people more sensitive? Roger says he uses regular coffee for his “bulletproof” coffee but I’m sure Dave Asprey would say that it’s not bulletproof by his definition. Thanks for the great podcasts!!

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Hi Nikki,

Roger and I discuss this in our upcoming Podcast 17. Please check it out. The data is spotty on this and I don’t personally subscribe to it. I think organic, whole trade coffee works just fine for me and I haven’t seen data to convince me otherwise as of yet.

4. Jamie

hey Caveman Doc!
    I recently heard that drinking four cups of coffee a day will increase your chances of getting cancer. There’s a conspiracy theory that says coffee manufactures will not allow this data and the link to cancer to be available to the public. Can you please talk about what data is out there regarding coffee and the link to cancer?

5. RssSubscriber

Is anyone looking in to this?
    You have potentially dropped out silently for all non-itunes followers. (like me)

Some kind of response would be nice.

I miss your podcasts.

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Hi, just checked rss and it seems to be working.

6. Tracey

I’m just catching up on your podcasts, but had to comment on the bulletproof coffee. I’ve been drinking mine for the last three months and LOVE it! I do 16oz French pressed coffee (organic, locally roasted beans) with 2tbsp each grass-fed butter and coconut oil, blended in my Magic Bullet to make a latte. I had actually never been able to handle coffee before, but I think all the fat helps. This isy go-to breakfast (with no food) and I’m usually good until 2-3 o’clock. I was wondering, though… Dave Asprey claims that drinking this keeps you in the fasted state…true? I’m working with IF and was curious. Thanks and keep up the great podcasts and blogs!

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Hi Tracey,

I think it keeps you in autophagy. I wouldn’t say the fasted states since it is a decent amount of fat and calories, but all those pathways that are upregulated and downregulate in ketosis are likely affected (IGF, AMPK, etc).