Podcast 19: Battle Royale: Champ vs. Ornish

20 Comments

1. Ron Kennedy

Hi guys, love your information and you two together. You are up there with Robbe Wolf, Jimmy Moore…I listen to all three of you.

Regarding the comment of stepping outside of the small circle of awareness, you are very right. So many people are not clued into Ancestral Living.

I posted this on Mark Sisson’s site recently:

“This last weekend I was at a family reunion of over 60 adults in NW Washington state. The group included an RN, a dentist and an MD who sits on an advisory/steerage committee for the local hospital. I would say that all 60 of these people are educated. None of them knew what the paleo or ancestral diet was. None of them had heard it. When I tried to explain it, they kept bringing up the Atkins diet. I went to their local farmers market and there was a vender there with grass fed beef and pastured pork. He didn’t have a clue what the primal/paleo thing was!

There were two vegetarians in the family group and needless to say, the farmers market seemed to be loaded with them also.

I was amazed. There is a long long ways to go with turning the health of the nation.”

cheers, Ron

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Ron, Thanks for the message. I agree – this movement has only just begun.

We have to keep pusheing the message.

THanks again,

2. Pingback: Dean Ornish Smackdown | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page

3. Meesha

Congrats on getting published, Colin. We non-doctors are behind you 100% as you attempt to spread the word to the medical community. Thank you for all your hard work.

I really enjoy listening to this podcast. Thanks to you both for the great content!

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Meesha,

Thanks so much! I appreciate the nice comments.

Take care,

4. Sharon

I’m so glad you addressed Ornish’s folly. You should get a load of John McDougall. He gets downright slanderous about Paleo and low carb people. Dr. Oz is another one who gives out tons of misinformation on that sham of a TV show. He tells people to cut out saturated fats and he also pushes soy. President Clinton looks like hell these days and he is following Esselstyn’s diet (also super vegan).

Look at the venom that McDougall spreads. It’s unbelievable!

5. kem

Once again, I wish diet (other than not losing weight) was considered when I had cancer. But then again, I lost any desire for sweet during radiotherapy and never came back… hard to eat anything, really, when ones throat is nothing but third degree burns. Good thing She made eat.

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Kem,

Congrats on getting through and keep up the good work. Hopefully diet is becoming an intergral part of cancer treatment.

Take care,

6. Mike

Hi Caveman Doctor,

Have you and Roger any plans to eat any more ultimately hardcore hunter-gatherer fare you’ve yet sampled?

High game? Raw fish? Edible insects? Not that I see you as Bear Grylls in a labcoat or anything …

Great show! I hope there are many more.

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Hi Mike,

Haha, I have yet to try insects (at least intentionally…) but I have been ramping up my organ meat consumption. I wouldn’t mind stepping it up with the game though…

7. Jessika

Hi Dr C and Roger,
    Love the podcasts and your websites! I really look forward to what the X-Men of the Nutrition Science Initiative brings to this incredible community. Got a real kick out the discussion of compression garments…we gals have known about and worn those for eons! We call ‘em “Flexies”, “Spanx” or the old school “girdle”…now we know they’re not just for containing your muffin tops!! Hopping off to read your article Dr C… both of my parents had cancer (pancreatic took my dad in 6 mos.), thus I am SO HAPPY to hear & follow your advice especially with regard to cancer and my parental medical history.

With much appreciation for all you two do,
    Jessika

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Jessika,

Thanks so much and glad you like the podcast and website. Very sorry to hear about your father and I hope your mother is ok.

It is funny to think about the compression gear as it has clearly been around in other forms for quite some time. I think most men (including myself) just wear them nowadays under their clothes, and probably pay a lot more now that they are commercialized…

Thanks and take care!

1. Jessika

Thanks Dr C,

I made it through and enjoyed your article, congrats on getting it published! I agree, the lead author would be a cool guy to hang out with:). My mom had breast cancer many years ago , only had a mastectomy , no chemo, etc and no reoccurrence. However, she passed away from complications of a stroke at 87 (she had a good life). So, cancer on one side, stroke on the other…at least no heart disease in the immediate mix. Thank you for your quick reply.

Jessika

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

You’re welcome! Glad to hear your mother had a good life. Take care.

8. Janet

I loved this episode! GREAT job going through the weaknesses in Ornish’s message by using high quality research and reason. Someone has to stand up for the general public, which doesn’t have any education about nutrition, and I’m glad you and Roger are fighting that fight. Also, I always finish listening to the podcast feeling so positive. I enjoy how you and Roger focus on general well-being and remind listeners that just trying to feel good is a worthy goal.

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Thanks Janet!!!

9. Jodie

Thanks for another wonderful podcast. I was really glad to hear your analysis about the Ornish article with regard to the inflamation markers. I would love to hear your take on the idea that low carb increases cortisol. I hear this often would love to know if there is a counter argument out there, if the data is flawed, or if higher cortisol is just something we have to accept.
    Best wishes,
    Jodie

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Great question. Is it inflammatory in this instance? We don’t really know. This may be one of the negatives from a low-carb diet or it may not matter. Balancing it with the negatives of a high carb diet (obesity, diabetes, etc.) I will take low carb. The other question is what about moderate low-carb? I bet cortisol is a non-issue.

Thanks,
      Colin

10. Lyle Guffey

I found Energy First to be a great whey protien product of the cost, it from grass feed cows, they use stevia for sweetner check it out at http://www.energyfirst.com/whey-protein-isolate

11. Pingback: News Roundup and Aspartame Dairy Clarification | From Doughboy to Ironman