Podcast 26: Say Sorry to Saturated Fat

18 Comments

1. Lauren

In the podcast you mention the downside of the Omega-6 heavy ‘paleo bread’ items. I am aware of the dangers of omega 6’s in creating inflammation and altering the proper O3-O6 ratios. However, you seemed to imply that Omega 6 consumption has a direct and immediate effect on insulin (by raising it after eating omega 6-heavy foods). Did I hear that right? Can you say more about that, please? Many thanks for another great podcast.

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Hi Lauren,
      If that’s how it sounded it was an error. Sorry about that. While the inflammation from omega-6 may raise insulin, I don’t know of any data showing it has a direct action on insulin. That was more referring to the carbs present in some of these items.

2. Mike

Mice wear pants?

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Haha love it!

3. DrJerseyGator

Like you, I experimented with different bulletproof recipes. Here’s my favorite!

16 oz of coffee (I use my french press and a locally roasted, fair trade organic coffee from Kaffe Magnum Opus)
    I add a dash of cinnamon to the coffee as it’s brewing for 4 minutes.

2 Tbsp unsalted, grass fed butter (I like it better than ghee in this case)
    2 Tbsp coconut oil

Combine in a “Magic Bullet” and blend well…makes a frothy latte. This is SOOO good!!

Love your podcasts, gentlemen. Keep up the great work.

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Thanks for the great suggestion and glad you like the podcasts! I have to try adding in some cinnamon.

4. DrJerseyGator
    1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Thanks!!!

Trying ghee tomorrow…

5. kem

Bulletproof coffee. Stuck on butter.

Skiting here, but NZ only has butter made from grass fed, non RGBH, and antibiotic free dairy cattle. You can’t buy bad.

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Kem, why do you have to rub it in, haha???

In the US, the mantra is “you can buy mostly bad, unless you spend a lot of time looking around for good”…

1. kem

You could always move. We’re short of good radiologists here.

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

haha – touche kem

6. Chuck Currie

Bulletproof coffee – If you guys are doing comparisons of different combinations of butter and coconut oil, you really have to try it with MCT oil – it is totally different than coconut oil. For one, MCT oil has no flavor, unlike coconut oil, and MCT oil seems to enhance the flavor of whatever it is incorporated with.

Be sure to get quality MCT oil like Dr Friedlander – the cheapest I’ve found was on Vitamin Monkey dot com. I tried other brands and didn’t like them – the NOW brand even tasted rancid – I tossed it.

Also, give cold brewed coffee a try. I’ve brewed coffee every way imaginable and cold brewed is by far my favorite.

Cheers

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Chuck, thanks for the great recommendations. I often forget about MCT oil, but definitely need to pick up some more.

7. Johnny

If you can do a tabata set of burpees and eat anything within the next 3 hours you are an animal. I think tabata sets of burpees are outstanding for losing weight as I have never been able to finish one and NOT throw up. It doesn’t matter when I do them, morning, noon, or night. Empty stomach or not. That is why I don’t them that often, but it is an awesome 4 minute workout.

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Haha, good point!

8. jake3_14

Regarding Roger’s assertion that no matter how little time you have, you can fit in a tabata set of burpees, I have a concern. Shouldn’t you make sure that your body is properly warmed up before attempting a maximal physical effort of anything? Otherwise, it seems you risk undue stress and even injury.

If I had only 15 minutes to exercise, I think it would be safer to do some mild warmup exercises, e.g. half-squats, jumping jacks, a set of pushups, or my favorite, a set of back/scapular stabilization isometric exercises.

1. cavemandoctor (Post author)

Jake,

I agree to an extent. I think there are certainly some tabatas where warm ups aren’t as necessary, like db squat press/jump, etc. Burpees may not be one of them. Though, generally I am not the biggest fan of burpees regardless.

I love the back and scapular stabilization exercises, and I don’t them nearly daily.

Thanks,