Podcast 29: Responsible Supplementation

Roger Colin 300x200 Podcast 29: Responsible Supplementation

itunes e1339791119922 Podcast 29: Responsible Supplementation

RRCD sidebar 150x150 Podcast 29: Responsible Supplementation

Comments
20 Responses to “Podcast 29: Responsible Supplementation”
  1. Sharon says:

My trigger foods, as yogurt is with Colin, I am finding to be cheeses (except for goat feta) and certain types of nuts. Sprouted almonds, cashews and pistachios from Whole Foods are crazy addictive for me and I wind up eating too many. I can do Macadamians and walk away after a few as I can with pecans, walnuts, brazils. Weird, huh?
    So should I avoid these foods and not keep them in the house? There is no sugar in these foods so what is causing the overeating or addiction?

Nuts are a trigger food for many as is dairy. Dairy may be from the lactose. Also, nuts are a salty mix of fat and carbs, which might just flick that switch.
      I swear the crunchiness and texture may have something to do with it too.
      Take care!

2. Meesha says:

Another good show. Thanks!

3. bjjcaveman says:

Love the part in the podcast where you talk about the benefits of being on the ground and feeling comfortable there.

You know what’s a good way to do that? Brazilian Jiu Jitsu!! Or any other forms of grappling out there. Great way to get in an aerobic and anaerobic work out while building your mind muscle connection all the while being on the ground You get comfortable being on the ground in no time!

With all this talk about ketosis, I was wondering if you knew of any literature out there talking about weight GAIN and ketosis.

Can you be in ketosis and put on weight? Would it be more of a calorie thing or more of a macronutrient thing?

What I mean is, if you are following a strict ketogenic diet with 70% fat, 20% protein, and less than 10% carbs (overall less than 50 gm carbs), if you aren’t watching your overall caloric intake will you still gain weight? And if you do , would this be more fat or more lean weight… or both?

Or would the weight gain be a result of our macronutrient profile, like needing to up the fat intake to 80%?

Thanks in advance.

Based on the calorie in/out, etc. you will. I personally have tried to gain weight on it and have been unable to. Perhaps I am not eating enough calories or something else is going on (whether digestion, hormonal, or unable to reach that caloric threshold). That being said, I have self experimented with extremely high caloric intake. I think it is likely individualized because I have definitely put weight on with lower calories on a higher carb diet. Clearly this is the threshold for my “carbohydrate intolerance”. which nearly everyone has. We need more studies evaluating this.

Great call on Jiu Jitsu! I think martial arts in general are amazing for increasing applicability of exercise and the “total package”.

Take care,

4. bjjcaveman says:

Sorry to add such a lengthy follow up question, but I was wondering if you’ve been following Rob Wolff’s Recent Low carb articles:

What are your thoughts?

Here are some questions that I wondered about and posted under his comments section.

What are the symptoms of hitting the point in glycolysis where ketogenesis is insufficient? I’ve been practicing BJJ while in ketosis (verified by blood strips), and don’t feel a difference in performance. But then again, I’m not competitive or professional. What symptoms should I be looking for. I don’t think I can blame my getting tapped out so much recently on my ketosis… but rather being completely outclassed by my training partners.

Also, Since it seems like low intensity endurance exercise requires energy that can be matched by the ketones generated by ketosis, do you think this is the best way to achieve weight loss/fat loss while being in ketosis? I mean, to maximize fat burning without hitting the ketotic wall, wouldn’t low intensity aerobic exercise be the best?

Last question.. have you found that a ketogenic diet is effective for losing the last 10-15 lbs of fat? It’s effectiveness in helping to lose 30+ lbs of fat have been demonstrated repeatedly (ie with Jimmy Moore).

I agree with your comments. I think for less than endurance activities, a ketogenic diet is fine, though many would likely argue with this. As for your last question, I generally run very low in body fat and nearly always turn to a ketogenic diet to lose those last couple pounds as I feel it is the optimal way physically and mentally. However, the optimal long-term diet is very individualized.

I have skimmed his articles, but need to sit down and really review them (when I have some free time which may not be for a while). I think at the end of the it always comes back to n=1, everyone if different, etc. etc. I personally have seen my fat percentage be nearly linearly related to my carbohydrate consumption, so I will always return to this fact with my diet. I have not seen an effect on my performance, though I do work extremely long hours.

I think the threshold for ketosis and performance depends on who you talk to. I believe Dr. Volek would say that many people are in ketosis, but not optimized due to too high carbohydrates leading to too low ketones. Once again, I think it’s a personalized approach. I stay just above ketosis and have been pretty happy with this. I do dip into ketosis periodically. For fat loss, however, I have not experienced (nor has the literature) anything as effective as cutting carbs.

Take care,

• bjjcaveman says:

Thanks for your very thoughtful responses. Robb Wolf just put out another article in his series of how low carb can adversely affect performance (I know more reading!)

You’ve mentioned before in some of your past podcasts that while you like to go in and out of ketosis, you don’t like to stay in it because of how it makes you ‘feel.’ I was curious to know what you mean by that?

Did you notice that it affected your performance in the weightroom? Did you have the ketogenic flu? Lack of energy?

Thanks in advance!

5. Jack says:

When you think it couldn’t get any weirder…. a Dr. M giving coke a thumbs up. Wow, I always thought he was a quack and this was him at his very worse. How irresponsible of him to make this claim. I shocked, but then again I”m not. Bet you, he loves him so Mountain Dew!

Loved that article on food supplementation in MDA. Agree with everything he said as always, especially when he mentioned liver. I eat liver 3x a week and love it. I know you guys haven’t got into the organ meats yet, but once you do, you’ll discover how great you feel after eating some. Old time bodybuilder guru, Vince Girnoda used to eat dried liver tablets 4x per day because it contains high levels of creatine. Also, Dr. Wahls cured herself of MS by eating liver jerkey (and other great items) everyday. Google her on TED talks and check out her inspiring video on how she eats.

Dr. Champ – did you try cook up that kidney yet? Yum! Let me know if you want some tasty recipes.

Will read your article on ketosis/cancer later this week. Eliminating sugar seem such a simple and viable solution to cancer. Just wondering why most people can’t seem to see this connection! Isn’t Taubes new book going to be about this subject?

I’m a huge Dan John fan. You ever read his LItvinov workout article in T-nation? Article changed how I workout. Basically, you combine anaerobic and aerobic workouts in one very intense session. An example is very heavy front squats with 4 00m run. 4 sets and you are down for the count. Litvinov workouts are what CrossFit used to be before they had to add all the crazy stuff to the WODs. I wrote some articles on Litvinov workout variations in t-nation, bodybuilding.com and Elite fitness. Let me know If you want to check them out and I’ll email them to you.

Great show as always! You guys always inspire me and make me laugh!
    Always grateful!

6. Jack says:

And I forgot – Did you say you and your bro haven’t had pasta in 14 years? Wow, you guys were ahead of your time! Impressive!

Jack,
      Thanks for the great comments. I will definitely check out the Litvinov workouts. I still haven’t done the kidney, though it’s my NY resolution to start…

I haven’t heard of Taubes new book, but I look forward to it.

Oh and yes, haha, we have did cut pasta out 14 years ago, much to my grandmother’s dismay…

Take care,

• Jamie says:

Dr Champ,
        If you cut pasta 14 years ago that means you were in your teens about 18 years old. How does a teenager find out about the paleo diet at such young age? Do you ever have it even just once in a blue moon?

Hi Jamie,
          I knew nothing of the Paleo diet. However, I have an older brother and we were both into weight lifting and bodybuilding. As a result, we were always trying to figure out methods to lose fat. Cutting carbohydrates, and especially bread and pastas, was a common sense approach for us and pasta was the worst offender so it had to go.

I never eat it and have no desire to. That isn’t the case with all bad foods though…

7. Lauren says:

Do you think that the yogurt/dairy trigger-food thing could be due to the fact that dairy is potentially insuligenic?

Hi Lauren, Personally, dairy is not a trigger when it’s in the form of full-fat cheese or cream. This only occurs with the higher sugar yogurt, which is what I’m guessing is the issue. SO insulin yes, but not necessarily from the dairy aspect, but more the lactose.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] this was the Caveman Doctor, Colin Champ’s (wonderful podcast btw) thoughtful response to my question: “Based on the calorie in/out, etc. you will. I personally have tried to gain weight on it [...]