Podcast 30: Are Vegetarians Murderers?

Roger Colin 300x200 Podcast 30: Are Vegetarians Murderers?

itunes e1339791119922 Podcast 30: Are Vegetarians Murderers?

RRCD sidebar 150x150 Podcast 30: Are Vegetarians Murderers?

Comments
28 Responses to “Podcast 30: Are Vegetarians Murderers?”
  1. Edward says:

The mp3 link only downloads a 270 byte file.

2. b-nasty says:

@Edward and CD/RR:

The MP3 link has an extra 3 at the end. Change the URL to be

and it will work.

3. Lauren says:

Another awesome podcast. Thanks for the ongoing info re: cancer, too! You guys rock.

4. kem says:

I like the chat. I mowed an entire family of ducks once, making hay. You get a few hares that run the wrong way, too. A shame; you cant really scavange enough for the dogs.

Farming is murder. Stuff dies. I think that’s what’s meant to happen. Enjoy the moment.

5. Paula says:

Regarding your what I think you meant was/is a pure latex mattress, I hope you’ll revisit this and tell some details of your experience. I got a latex mattress last year. The setup was challenging but the concept so simple; one THING making the entire mattress — but for me it did NOT work. I needed more firmness thus I floated down inti it therefore it did not support my body. What a shame that was — I had hoped it would be a panacea.

Great podcast. Thanks.

6. Bjjcaveman says:

Where’s the link to the flame throwing car??

7. kem says:

We love our bamboo covered latex mattress. Very firm.

8. Jack says:

One thing for sure – this podcast has really shown me a new appreciation for rats! Great show as always!

RR – that book sounds great! I have to get it

Dr. C – what type of D do you take? D3? Also, what brand is it?

As alternative to foam rollers, I use lacrose balls which kills more. K-Star (you know who he is?) prefers them as well. I take two balls and tape them together to make up a concatenation called torture balls. Also, you can use a bottle of wine, roll and then drink the wine after.

looking forward to next show!

Thanks Jack. I do lacrosse balls also and a hard pipe. Killed at first but I love it now.

I use Nutrigold D3. Never take D2 – randomized trials have shown it to be inferior and not natural.

I haven’t tried the wine bottle yet, but that sounds pretty amazing…

9. M says:

Very interesting. Lierre Keith was lambasted for making the same point.

I wonder whether the good doc could speak more evenly. It’s often difficult to hear you when your voice falls.

Btw it seems there is increasing support for low carb yet the paleo world is turning its back on it. I’m curious to know what your thoughts are.

Will do with the mike and speaking into it, you aren’t the first to comment on this…

this is copied from another comment, but:
      I think low-carb and definitely ketogenic is individualized, but the Paleo backlash against low-carb is unfounded by many.

I think it is more an issue of confusing motion with progression, i.e. we always have to be going in some direction, even if we are spinning our own wheels.
      It’s fairly obvious that low-carb is an easy method for people to lose fat, not just weight but fat, and many many people have experienced this. Why we are going against this is likely because many Paleo people tend to go against the common theme, and low-carb is now the common theme…

10. jake3_14 says:

Comparing industrial farming to raising humanely-raised cattle is an apples-to-oranges comparison, because the goals of the two operations are different. For a valid comparison, you need to compare industrial farming to industrial/CAFO livestock practices or organic farming to grass-fed cattle practices. My hunch is that in each valid comparison, farming is less or just equally destructive than raising livestock. In addition, since paleo eaters avoid grains, the comparison they should be looking for is vegetable cultivation vs. raising livestock.

I’m an omnivore, so I’m not rooting for either side, but I’ve yet to see anyone assert that small-scale, traditional, humane farming or animal husbandry practices can be scaled up to feed a world of 7–10 billion people. The most promising field experiment is by Alan Savory (http://www.savoryinstitute.com/), but the results aren’t in.

• kem says:

The only thing were feeding a world of 7-10 billion is soylent green. In 50 years it’ll be too hot to grow anything south or north of 50 degrees lattitude. In the meantime, small livestock farmers are the best hope for feeding Africa.

Jake, I agree. A difficult topic that is nearly impossible to calculate with all the agricultural madness going on in this country.

• jake3_14 says:

Difficult — but not impossible. For example, I recall a Freakonomics podcast from June, 2012 about food (http://www.freakonomics.com/2012/06/07/you-eat-what-you-are-pt-2-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/) that discussed an analysis of what the environmental and nutritional effects would result if Santa Barbara county were to go totally locavore (only 5% of the county’s food is local, though it produces $1.2 billion worth of produce annually). The conclusion: The savings in greenhouse gas emissions, per household, as a proportion of the total food system greenhouse gas emissions, was less than one percent. Quite counter-intuitive, eh?

11. jake3_14 says:

Many years ago, I emailed my uncle, a hematologic oncologist, with the results of a mouse study, and asked him what he thought about it. His reply: You are not a mouse. That has stuck with me.

While I hope that Warburg and Ristow are entirely correct, it is premature to conclude, as you seem to have done in the podcast, that Ristow’s experimental results are directly applicable to people. I hope that Ristow can figure out a way to do this experiment ethically in a clinical trial.

Jake, as one can read and hear repeatedly throughout the podcasts, I have never concluded that any animal experiemnt is directly related to humans. All we can do is extrapolate and hypothesize.

12. Jamie says:

Hi Dr Champ,

Did you really stopped eating pasta fourteen years ago? When did you start the caveman diet?

XX

13. Tiril says:

How are you doing with your new matrass, and where did you buy it? I’m just about to buy at new one myself..