Podcast 31: Exercise Risk and Reward

Roger Colin 300x200 Podcast 31: Exercise Risk and Reward

itunes e1339791119922 Podcast 31: Exercise Risk and Reward

RRCD sidebar 150x150 Podcast 31: Exercise Risk and Reward

Comments
16 Responses to “Podcast 31: Exercise Risk and Reward”
  1. Indy says:

Hey guys,

Your ITunes link works fine, but the MP3 link goes to Episode 30 instead of Episode 31.

Cheers
    Indy

2. bjjcaveman says:

How’re things with your back?

Any clue as to how your hurt it deadlifting? It seems like you do everything with good form… and things should have gotten better for you after your appointment with Bill Hartman (I’m seeing him this weekend btw).

Was it just father time?

Haha. I think when I get to a certain weight something goes awry. It always happens. Below 300 I am fine. Above it I seem to always get injured. I am going to tape myself to tweak this. I don’t go to the ground now with the DL until this gets fixed. I am doing better though and dead-lifted yesterday without issue. Tell Bill I said hi and enjoy your time with him.

3. bjjcaveman says:

Also

Congrats on #15!

Lets try to get you into the single digits next go round.

4. Jamie says:

Dr Champ,
    I noticed that you tweeded about Ashton Kutcher’s fruit diet. why is a fruit diet not a good idea? I asked because I love fruit!

Hi Jamie,
      I love fruit too. However, 100% fruit leaves no protein, fat, and minimizes many nutrients in the diet that are vital.

Take care,

5. ketonik says:

Apropos the rise of Crisco, I heard about this on NPRs Planet Money podcast some time ago. It’s called “Who killed lard?” and focuses on how Crisco marketing managed to decimate the market for lard. It’s a good listen:

6. jack says:

Hey doc – when hurt my lower back dling it because my hip rises too fast .make sure u keep chest up and drive with heels . Good luck .

Jack, my brother always tells me to watch my hip rising too fast. This is why I always need to DL in front of a mirror.

• Jack says:

Hey Colin: fast rising hips is usually the culprit for screwing up your lower back. The movement becomes a a very heavy RDL that puts too much strain on your lower back. You want to focus on using your hamstring and once the bar reaches to knee level, you want to drive with your hips/glutes. If you feel it in your lower back, that’s not a good sign. Fixing this problem is pretty simple, however, I don’t suggest using the mirror.

If you go heavy, looking in the mirror will be a major distraction unless U always look at yourself while deadlifitng. You go light and look at yourself, but the problem can arise again when you heavy.

Instead, have a friend video take you while you deadlift. Again, what helped me is to: 1. take the slack out of the bar by pulling at it hard when you do the setup. This will help you lock into a proper position. 2. concentrate on driving from your heals. This will help use focus on using your legs instead rising too quickly with your hips. 3) lead with your chest. Keep your chest high will help your hips from shooting up too fast.

Here is great article on DL: http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/deadlift/

Good luck!

Thanks Jack,
          You hit the nail on the head. I actually went to Hartman (who works with Roberts – from your link) and he writes my workouts. I actually need to see him again soon, but will prob follow your advice and do a video for assessment.
          Colin

7. jake3_14 says:

When discussing solutions to the problem of the overworked letter writer, you didn’t mention a solution I used many years ago in a similar situation: barter for cooking. In my case, my roommate prepared foods weekly according to my recipes for about 3 months in exchange for reduction in rent. In your letter writer’s case, maybe barter is possible with a roommate or friend she trusts enough to be there in her absence. There may also be personal services barter clubs in her area. As a last resort, perhaps she could hire a personal chef for a short time.