Episode 34: Kobe Knows Low-Carb

Roger Colin 300x200 Episode 34: Kobe Knows Low Carb

itunes e1339791119922 Episode 34: Kobe Knows Low Carb

RRCD sidebar 150x150 Episode 34: Kobe Knows Low Carb

Comments
12 Responses to “Episode 34: Kobe Knows Low-Carb”
  1. Meghann says:

I have to make sure that I’m on my own when I listen to your podcasts — I get really strange looks when I burst out laughing — Kobe Bryant at 30somethiing is OLD????? Are you kidding me??????

Moving on

I always pay attention to the tidbits & crumbs on women doing strength training. One of the main reasons I do resistance training at all is to improve overall metabolic efficiency. Something of more than passing interest lately is the potential relationship among autophagy, healthy metabolism and maintenance of muscle mass.

Please ask Roger to plug his ears on this one, but the general pondering behind this is largely thanks to my ongoing friendship with the scales. My weight loss has been steady for approx 20 months, 133 pounds in total now, and a process that became much, much more controlled and sustainable after I learned how to manage my diet and maintain ketosis (approx 10 months now).

My friendly scales guesstimate my current non-fat component of body weight at a number that is now higher than my target total weight which will obviously include some body fat. And since I’m utterly ancient according to your standards, I’m not growing any taller. Which then leads me to ponder how my systems are going to recycle all the various tissue components that are obviously going to be removed along with some of the target fat loss that’s remaining. Hence, my vague question about the role of autophagy.

Many thanks
    Meghann

2. Meghann says:

Hi. Back again — with a seriously specific question this time — I read the Worldly Monk article on thyroid and find I’m still confused.

IF the necessity of thyroid hormones is reduced BECAUSE of the lower amounts of blood glucose, then why isn’t there some recommendation FOR the reduction of carbohydrate in the diet for people with thyroid issues??

Wouldn’t it make sense to put less demand on the system in the same way carb reduction puts less demand on insulin production?

Cheers & Thanks
    Meghann

3. bjjcaveman says:

Great podcast! Loved how you called Roger out on ‘glowing’ as he was talking about Pho. You could totally hear it in his voice!

Also, I just wrote a 2 part series about the effects of nutritional ketosis on my HbA1c and was hoping to get your take on it.

4. Jack says:

Great that Kobe is working w/Dr. Cate. Love her books and work. Would love to see exactly how she prescribed Kobe and the Lakers to eat. I know she isn’t a fan of “safe starches” , but I think pro athletes like basketball players need starches to load up their glycogen levels, especially with all the sprinting, jumping and fast twitch muscles activities they have to do.

How’s the deadlifting going?

I agree with the starches comment. The DL are going well. I am starting back slow and steady and so far so good, thanks.

5. jamie says:

Dr Champ! are you taking the board exam soon? is that why you are so quiet? hope all is well :)

6. bjjcaveman says:

Dwight Howard has cut out all sugar in his diet… and now the Lakers are in the 8th play off spot!